Friday, May 22, 2009

Are you sure you want Thomas Jefferson as your child's role model, religious homeschoolers?

Yes, I know it's a long title for a blog post. However, after reading something this afternoon, it's the question I would ask of followers of TJEd (Thomas Jefferson Education), a philosophy of homeschooling (one which I have chosen to generally ignore since the introductory book had some ideas which I consider counterproductive to educating my children well).

What I read this evening was that Thomas Jefferson made his own version of the New Testament. He decided that all the supernatural events in the four gospels were made up, so he cut and pasted from Matthew, Mark, Luke and John to make his own "Bible", which he entitled The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth. He removed all mention of miracles, angels, divine birth, and even Jesus' resurrection.

It appears to me that most who subscribe to the TJEd philosophy are religious Christians. Do they realize their great example and education method namesake didn't accept that Christ was divine and thought everything supernatural in the four gospels was just false invention?

Note: I also found out that Thomas Jefferson was never able to live within his income and he died in so much debt that Monticello had to be sold and his daughter was left penniless.

No comments:

Post a Comment