Tuesday, October 28, 2014

No good response

An extended family member at a recent family gathering seemed to feel it necessary to inform everyone that she will never have children. She is in her early 30s and very influenced by modern feminism and women's studies.

What am I, a mother of five children, supposed to say to that? 
  • "I'm sorry?" - I am. I value children and being a mother. I'm sorry she'll be missing out on those herself. But saying it sounds so patronizing, so I can't.
  • "You might change your mind...when biology makes it no longer a daring choice but merely a foregone conclusion." - True, but kind of mean. 
  • "How wonderful! You wouldn't have made a good mother anyway." - Super mean.
  • "Oh, yes, what a great decision. Children are so overrated." - Overrated, sure, sometimes. But still worth it.
  • "You evil feminist harpy!" - I got the vibe that she was hoping for that response so she could play victim later in her feminist circles. But we love her and aren't going to attack her like that. 
So I said nothing.



1 comment:

  1. Well, since you used hedge words like "generally" and "most", I'll let your comment stand. I try to keep the tone on my blog fairly uplifting, though. There are enough other places on the internet to engage in harsh criticism.
    I totally hear where you're coming from and to a point can sympathize. I appreciate the focus on family and being nice to men that I have seen in some other countries. Still, as an American woman, I've got to stand up for the many sacrificing, nurturing, kind, and loyal American women I know. We exist. The faithful married ones just aren't available. :)
    Many foreign-born women are great, too. I've lived in the Philippines, and I regularly tell my bachelor brother to consider looking there for a bride. However, I've also heard LOTS of stories about immigration fraud. Despite my warnings about fake stuff on the internet, even my own then-single father got involved with a female (?) scammer in the Philippines who took him for $1000.

    ReplyDelete