Friday, July 10, 2009

Pregnancy Fitness

My last pregnancy, I worked in a consular office the entire time. I sat in front of a computer all day with just the occasional trip to the bathroom or to the consulate cafeteria, where the basic daily meal was always very high in carbohydrates (seriously, potatoes were served as a side to rice!). Because I lived near the equator, I didn't get home until close to the time the sunset, and it wasn't safe for me to walk outside our gated neighborhood after dark. I got large (around 200 lbs. by the time I gave birth), and my newborn came out weighing over 9 1/2 pounds. I remained quite overweight afterward, despite breastfeeding, for which I blame my return to my sedentary lifestyle after my maternity leave.

This pregnancy, I have been a stay-at-home mom with many opportunities to walk and hike. I'm in control of my diet, too. Thanks to very unpleasant "morning sickness" and my lifestyle changes, I only gained about 10 lbs. by 23 weeks of pregnancy. Because I began pregnancy overweight, this is good news! I'm very grateful for our double stroller and walkable streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment