Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mockery

Today I found myself in a conversation about politics with a stranger--I try to avoid those, but I got sucked into it by a comment I'd made on a Facebook friend's link to an article. At the end of our conversation, which stayed amicable despite the other party's rather insulting style, I found out that the other person likes to go to a website that couches its opinions and commentary in a mocking way. I do not like mockery. I didn't like it as a girl when I was told my clothes were ugly followed by a laughing "Just kidding!", and I don't like it any better now. Mockery is a pride game, a way of saying "I'm so smart/awesome/pretty, and you're laughably not." There is humor, and then there is selfishly making fun of others, and I hope I can teach my children the difference in such a way that they will always opt for kind-hearted humor.

2 comments:

  1. I'm starting to think this is a major part of why I like some blogs better than other . . . mockery . . and too much political pushiness . . . i just want to hear about families learning, I guess? But I do love Homespun Juggling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homespun Juggling seem to be full of the good kind of humor. I really admire people who take the high road when it comes to provoking laughs and avoid the mean spirit I see in so many blogs and comments.

    ReplyDelete