Thursday, January 5, 2023

Faucets, aerators, and pipes as possible factors in delaying or accelerating dementia

Way back in September of 2016, I was looking at how hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) causes hair to go gray, for a chronically elevated level of H2O2 increases cell death and as we age we have less activity of enzymes that break down H2O2. In February of 2017, I considered whether H2O2 in the mouth was responsible for increased stroke risk as we age. The oxidative stress caused by H2O2 also seems like it could be connected to the development of dementia, as I published in this hypothesis: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28915962/.

Here is an update on H2O2 and a new question. 

First, the update: I continue to go gray more slowly than expected. Decades ago, I got into the habit of letting my toothpaste stay in my mouth for extended periods of time while I did other parts of my going-to-bed routine, including reading (which for me can be quite a long time). Many toothpastes rely on sodium fluoride (NaF) as their primary active ingredient, and NaF can help break down H2O2. All of my siblings are going gray faster than I am, including the one with the most similar hair pigmentation. The sibling who is going gray fastest of all avoids fluoridated water, going so far as to have installed a reverse osmosis filter in her home around fifteen years ago. I think simple fluoride F))))))aions really are helping slow down the death of my hair-pigment-producing cells (the technical name for those cells is melanocytes).

The new question is whether we should be paying more attention to fluoride and fluorine generally when it comes to developing dementia. My elderly mother moved last year from her 1970s home to a newer apartment, and she quickly "went downhill" as far as her memory issues. The older home had older plumbing and faucets, while the new apartment had newer everything. While fluoride in NaF can help break down H2O2, diatomic fluorine molecules (F2) actually can increase the presence of H2O2 by oxidizing water (H2O) to H2O2 where free electrons are present. As we all learn at an early age from shocking each other after scuffling our feet along carpet, friction can cause free electrons to be present, so it appears to merit more investigation as to how pipes, faucets, and especially aerators on faucets are affecting the water that we put into our mouths.

No comments:

Post a Comment