Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Need to eat more plant protein

Instapundit linked to FuturePundit's post on how a study found that "[o]verweight individuals who ate a low-calorie, low-carbohydrate diet high in plant-based proteins for four weeks lost weight and experienced improvements in blood cholesterol levels and other heart disease risk factors".

So for dinner, I made vegetables, brown rice and cheese sauce. (Two out of three has got to do me some good.) But how exactly does one make cheese sauce "high in plant-based proteins"? I guess I can lose the butter (*sniff*) in favor of olive oil. But what about the milk and cheese? I suppose soy milk would probably work. And there are non-dairy "cheeses" for sale, but that just seems too weird for me still. As for dh, I'm still trying to get him to accept tofu as something that can be tasty and not just endured. I will keep trying, though, because dh is worried about his blood cholesterol and it seems like increasing the soy in his diet is one way to help with that issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment