Friday, May 6, 2016

Labeling One's Self

In a society that exhorts us not to judge others, we certainly are presented with many opportunities to process people's statements about themselves.

I can't drive down the road without seeing bumper stickers and decals about all kinds of topics. They convey messages like: "I'm a fan of dinosaurs eating Christian fishes." "We have exactly 1 son and 3 daughters." "My grandchildren are dogs." "I vote Republican and like to keep really old election stickers on my car." "I love Tolkien and hiking...and maybe telling the world that I abandoned my parent's religion." "I'm so funny, and I don't care if I expose barely literate children to vulgarity/profanity." "People who use disposable diapers hate the planet and their babies." "My child is really smart/talented." "Whew! I ran 13.1 miles without dying." "I once visited a really cool tourist town/European country and bought a little oval sticker for my car to show you how cool I am for having been there."

Did ever so many complete strangers have the way to share their opinions so widely before the automobile? Twitter and Facebook aren't the same because you have to actually follow someone to see what they think, and we can always block people when we don't want to see what they share (or overshare). But there's no way to stop seeing bumper stickers, at least not until we get self-driving cars and can use time on the road for a good snooze.

Then there is clothing, which has always sent messages about one's values, sometimes wrongly read or inaccurate, but still there. Now people label themselves in ways that go beyond mere appearance. Here in Colorado, Amsterdam of the Rockies, where we see rising rental rates from all the out-of-state pot fans who want to move here and use legally, many people wear clothing adorned with marijuana leaves and pan-African colors. They might as well be advertising to potential employers, "I will never not have THC in my system."

I've always been wary of name brand clothing. Why should I pay extra to wear an advertisement for a clothing brand? What makes a shirt with "Hollister" written across the front something I would want to wear except for its current popularity? That's not my last name. I remember being worried, back when dating my current husband, because he wore a Tommy Hilfiger jacket. I didn't want to get financially tied to someone who would pay extra for a label. He greatly relieved my mind when he told me that the jacket was a castoff from a roommate.

We grew up running road races because my dad was a runner. We usually got free race shirts that said the name of the race and helped expand our wardrobe. Free shirts had a way of making the race experience last. They told the world, "I ran this race!" without also telling the world that I barely beat the ambulance. I still like free shirts, of which my husband gets a lot on the job from companies who are using our torsos to advertise their products. They make great yardwork shirts or nightgowns for the littles. But if I'm looking to impress people, I don't wear those shirts. That would be like slapping a bumper sticker on my forehead.

Tattoos used to mean "I served in the military." Now they are in vogue and send all kinds of messages. If someone's knuckles say "thug life," they are labelling themselves as someone who, at the least, doesn't mind being taken for a criminal. What am I supposed to do when presented with such a label? Pretend that battery and drug dealing are A-OK? Sorry, but sometimes judgments must be made.

I think we should not be hasty in accepting labels on others, whether given by others or taken upon one's self. People don't always know what message is implied by that specific piercing or a striped pair of socks. However, symbols are real. Part of the education we should give our children as they grow up is that they visually tell other people about themselves and what they stand for by how they adorn their bodies and their cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment