Tuesday, December 20, 2022

A possible use for silver

Silver, for no apparent reason, has been a valuable metal for a very long time. It doesn't make good jewelry or dishes because of its tendency to quickly tarnish, yet people have traveled the world and enslaved others to get it. Why?

I might have found one little-known use for it: making beauty products. I got the idea from my old dictionary, which included an entry for marrow spoons and noted specifically that they were made from silver. So I took some turkey bones from a recently cooked turkey, simmered them for a while to get all the other turkey matter off them, smashed them open with a kitchen hammer, then cooked them in my slow cooker with distilled water and some old silver spoons. Once the resulting liquid was cooled, I used it to take a bath in. Even diluted with tap water, I could feel instant "moisturizing" effects from my turkey marrow-silver broth. I used the broth on my face for the next week, and I haven't looked that good for years! Very moisturizing with no weird side effects.

What might I have made? Because of the occurrence of rubidium in bone marrow (at least where the animals have been able to eat foods containing rubidium), I am leaning towards having made a rubidium-silver compound. I bought some free-range chicken and am trying the experiment again now to see if that changes my results.

If my current experiment gives good results, that would be ironic, for people spend so much money on beauty products when really they should have been turning their money (i.e., silver) into the beauty products directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment