Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Some recent health studies

Recent studies show that apple juice can delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease, and that heavy smokers and drinkers get Alzheimer's disease years before those who are not heavy smokers or drinkers.

So, yet again, fruit and tobacco and alcohol avoidance are shown to contribute to a healthier life. I love the Word of Wisdom.

And lest I appear unfairly selective in my roundup of diet-related articles from the web today, here's an article saying that coffee drinking cuts risks of stroke in women. However, the benefit is only for healthy women; smoking, having high blood pressure, diabetes, or high cholesterol neutralized the coffee effect. Also, note that the benefit comes from something in coffee besides the caffeine; Mountain Dew and iced tea won't provide a woman with a similar benefit. The lead author of the study states: “Antioxidants in coffee lower inflammation and improve blood vessel function." I'll stick with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, legumes, meats, poultry, fish, and chocolate for my antioxidants, thank you! Even if I weren't LDS, I think I would hesitate to acquire a messy habit like coffee drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment